The D.E.A.R. project was born in Romania, in 2004 – 2005, at Transylvania College, with the aim of developing students’ interest in study, through 15 minutes allocated to reading.
A group of teachers in primary education from Transylvania College has implemented in class several projects dedicated to reading, under the profile of D.E.A.R. You can find below a presentation of the model used in grades I-IV.
Reading is an enjoyable, useful short- and long-term activity that stimulates critical thinking and develops vocabulary. In order to attract students to read, we need to make this experience fun, relaxing and enjoyable for children, to present their books in a positive light.
Monday – Prereading
* Choose a packaged book randomly.
Tuesday – Read
* Relive yesterday’s surprise, of the curiosity you felt.
* Choose your reading place.
* Write a few sentences, draw, express your opinion about what you read.
Wednesday – Rereading
* Exchange impressions, related to a favorite paragraph with a colleague
* Provides new meanings for an interesting text you’ve read.
Thursday – Thinking/Reflection
* You’re a character too!
* Transpose yourself into the atmosphere of the book.
* Live alongside the characters and write a memorized phrase in your diary.
Friday – Happiness
* Remember the relationship you created with your book.
* Write a message to the author.
* Make a book with the impressions of each student, made of a drawing and a statement.